Sunday 10 January 2021

The Unique Legend 2 -- The Ancient Night Vol. 1 (Chapter 1)

Chapter 1: Rebirth of the Legend

Boom! A black figure flies out.

I heard a very loud sound from a 100m deep cave.

This left me a big shock, because my companions who went in earlier said that there won't be any problems. But in 5 minutes, I was presented to this image.

It was said to be an ancient water cave... Okay, after the normal-looking-ancient-cave gave off the blasting sound, the ground started to vibrate, followed by some falling stones that brought along dusts, then lastly coming from the cave were some living creatures running for their lives at top speed.

Without thinking much, I already knew that the cave was going to collapse.

This is the don't know N th times something like this has happened ever since we started looking for water spirit stone. I'm already numb to it.

"Wind talisman, protect the surroundings." As I take out the talisman I'd prepared, before the amount of ash created from the 2nd time the blast swarms over, I have already set up a protective barrier. Although small, it is sufficient for myself.

But what caught me off guard is usually the things that happen next. The moment the protective spell was sighted, the creatures who were initially escaping for their lives suddenly rushing towards me.

What the... fuck!

Even though under Andy and Senior Kasai's guidance, I have been learning more spells, I am definitely still unable to react with these creatures swarming towards me.

"Peng peng!" My vision turned black, I feel something hairy hit me which sent me flying out, golden stars and the legendary path to heaven appeared in my surroundings.

But within a few seconds, even my grandma's figure didn't manage to fully appear, the path to heaven disappeared.

I then fell on the ground, and was immediately covered by the ash from the blast earlier on... I hope they come and dig me out before I choke to death from being buried alive.

Lying on the ground, as I am buried underneath.

My name is Chu Mingyang, I am in my second year of high school. currently enjoying a pleasant holiday...
Uhm, actually it's not exactly very pleasant.

If someone says that being buried alive by the ashes from someone's blast is pleasant, I definitely (without further words) will plant him down into the Earth's core on the spot and let him experience the feeling of ultimate pleasure.

Also, I believe that I currently possess such ability, because not long ago five-coloured rooster just told me that planting someone into the ground is a basic ability. Since even the assassin can do it, all the more a devil master should be able to too.

"Cries of water." Interrupting my thoughts, a sound came out from the quiet ground, followed by another blasting sound.

Please do not use water--

I wasn't even able to warn Yado, the water came flushing me out from the ground. Because the pressure was too strong, I was flushed towards the tree and then pasted on one of the branches in a star-shape, alongside with some mud.

... I will become a mud man, forget it...

"Yangyang, what are you doing in the ground?" Always in with that crazy looking smiley face, Leido's voice came from behind: "Faster come down, if you dry yourself in that state, you will be fixed to that branch. But personally I find it artistic, you wouldn't mind posing the same again for my artworks right?"

Fuck you! Do you also want to carve out the moment I collided with the trees!

Pulling my body out from the mud pile, I fell onto the ground and realised that the surrounding mud have been flushed away cleaned. Evidently Yado's water spell is quite comprehensive, even the dirt from the blast earlier on have been washed away and a small rainbow is created with the sunlight shining through the water droplets in the air!

"I mind, a lot. Please forget it!" Even if you don't forget, as a devil master, I can curse that you fall and hit your head and lose your memories.

After Leido carves, Five-coloured rooster and the rest will probably laugh for at least a year. No, even 1 year is too short, it might be for a life-time, and who knows one day after I die, five-coloured rooster will definitely do those 'bringing his kids to view and then later tell them "This is the artwork the water spirits created for the devil master" ', and then the entire Protecting world will know that the current devil master went to collide into a tree and became a water spirit's artwork on the spot. And this story will be passed down for another hundred years.

The thought of this alone is frightening.

"Leido! Do not carve!" I warned those water spirits who are laughing so hard.

"Aye, what a pity." Leido kept his sword.

...

......

Wait wait! Could it be that you wanted to have Thor to dig me up!

I suddenly feel that the Yado who used water spell was the good person, as compared to being buried in the ground and electrocuted into Tuyao* Chicken, being flushed into a mudman is the best option.
*t/n: Tuyao chicken is a form of Taiwan dish. The chicken is wrapped in foil and buried in earth to cook under heat.

After all, no one wishes to die like Tuyao Chicken. Right, I recalled previously I watched a puppet show recently,  and there was a character named... Kong Rou Bao*?
*t/n: Another Taiwanese dish. Thick braised pork belly sandwiched in a bun.

Deciding to change the topic, I looked towards the cave --

...where is the cave?

Where is the cave!

"What have you done to the water cave!" Looking over, I only see a flat ground, so flat that a road can be paved.

"It collapsed. Earlier on during the attacks from the water magic beast inside, it self-exploded and collapsed." Leido said using the 'too bad he self-exploded before we managed to settle it' what-a-pity tone: "The magic beast was probably used as a protection in the past. It looked like it had been there for a very long time. But it's strength was unexpectedly big."

"Eh? Oh." Why am I no longer appalled by such an explanation...

Yado kept his sword, reaching a hand out to pull me up: "This place also does not have the water stone."

"Another empty trip." As I quietly say, looking at Leido strikes a cross on the map.

Since we got this map from Black Shan Jun, Yado and Leido have begun their long search, while I occasionally tag along during my holidays, just like now.

"We have searched everywhere in the Southern region. Seems like it has been taken by other people. Tsk, it is unexpectedly difficult." Leido leans over, looking at the ten over crosses marked on the map: "Oh yes, Yangyang, is it alright for you to always tag along with us? I remember you still have classes."

"Ah, it's fine. I don't have lessons on Fridays. So including the weekends, I have 3 days off." Sometimes Leido and the rest will spend a few days outside. If it's within 3 days, they will contact me as promised. If it's too long, they will go on their own. Even though they are also students, as they are white robes and university students, they are able to be out longer than me.

There are some places that are more difficult to leave. If we meet such maze-like geographies, we might spend even more days.

The only exception was the other water region where we met a huge illusion. We even ended up spending more than 5 days and nearly could not make it out. Upon coming back to school, I have already missed 3 days of lessons.

Nearly got a 'heart-warming' education from the form teacher.

"But after frequently coming to our water regions, Yangyang you should have familiarised with our environment right?" Looking at me, Leido continues to give me that silly looking face.

".... No." Because I am always sent directly to the destination whenever I hang out with them, I have never gotten the chance to see the scenery between the journeys.

For instance, it's like when you travel from Taichung to Taitung for vacation, but the windows in the coach were sealed throughout. Are you able to know what the heck the outside looks like? The most is you alight from the coach at Taitung and sightsee around and purchase a travel book.
Oh right, the custard apple* I got was pretty good. I should bring some for them next time.
*t/n: Custard apple and travel book sounds the same in Chinese. That's why Yangyang got reminded of the custard apple. lol

Yado coughed, evidently also thought of this incident, "Since there isn't any water stone, let's head back first."

"Ah! I'll be heading back to school directly." I knew that he was referring to the water spirits' sacred place because they'd always head home first and make a feast for everyone.

Under the care of the medical team, Yido is gradually recovering and has begun to take up simple missions. Only Leido and Yado refuse to let him get involved.

Similarly, Senior Kasai is also getting better in Yue Jian's ward. But I heard that because his injuries are a lot more serious than Yido's, he has remained in Yue Jian's ward until now, though he returns to the Purple dorm occasionally, he is usually sent back because of his conditions.

Right now, Chifuyutoshi is taking care of Kasai by his side, according to Ryan, we have all agreed that Chifuyutoshi has become a brother-fetish. Also, Chifuyutoshi has rejected a few works instead laying next to bed, sometimes even skipping lessons to go back home to fetch some interesting herbs for his brother.

The last time I went to Purple dorm to meet Ari, I heard Chin-chan complaining.


Chifuyutoshi scolded her for not disinfecting the tea before brewing.


Speaking of which, I think Senior Kasai didn't disinfect the tea before brewing previously as well. And such bacteria will probably not cause any harm to their bodies!

There aint any normal humans but superhumans here!

"This is something Yido wanted to give you. Since you aren't heading back with us, you should bring this back then." Not knowing that my mind has wandered elsewhere, Yado rubbed a fingernail sized crystal into pieces, followed by a basketball sized box with some pretty designs appearing on his hand: "Some desserts from the water spirits. He said you loved it the previous time you came."

I received the box with gratitude.

Ever since everyone knew my love for desserts, they often gave me some.

Ari told me that this is normal. Because this world is different from ours back there, every race has its own festive practices and prayers... and all at different times. And often these offerings have to be hand-made. As compared to the Original world, the Protected world is closer to the Gods, so these offerings tend to contain more sincerity. At the end of the prayers, these will be given to friends, also a form of blessing.

Giving the things that have been enjoyed by the Gods, or blessed by the Gods to our friends.

This is the idea.

Bringing further, the idea is that as long as you are liked, you will often receive these foods.

This actually made me stressed, because I can't do any handmade desserts. I often pester my mother to make some green bean soup, red bean soup or other snacks to return the favour. Luckily everyone were generally accepting of the Taiwanese snacks.

"Help me give my thanks to Yido~" Looking at the white box of desserts, I said my thanks.

"Yido said, the green bean soup you gave previously was good. He'd like to learn from your mother when there is time." Yado passed down the message from his older brother.

....

"The water spirit learning how to make green bean soup from my mother...

That image sounds weird no matter how you think of it!

"Uh, I will let my mother know." Actually I think my mother will be more than happy to teach Yido. Last month when I returned home with Ari who had a mission nearby, we bumped into my mother. Afterwards, my mother quietly told me to bring more of such good-looking classmates back.

I think Yido will definitely be loved by my mother.

Not only is he handsome, but also a good person; Last time Miaomiao has told me that if Yido debuts, he will definitely be an auntie-killer.

Where did she learn this phrase from!

"Thank you." Yado nodded his head.

"No, not at all." Afterall I'm not the one teaching...

"Then, we'll head back first." Leido very kindly gave me a teleportation talisman. There was a time where I got stuck in between when coming over to find them. After then, Leido or Yado will always help me prepare. "Next time do bring along Ziray when you come--"

Bias. This is definitely bias!

"Don't bring that problematic fella!" Yado's face soured.

"How is he problematic!"

"Very!"

"You guys enjoy yourselves, I'll leave first......"


***


And so, I returned.

This is the 11th month without Senior.

Standing in front of the Black dorm, the surroundings remained unchanged...... Or perhaps a little different. I later realised that actually the garden and view will alternate its spot, I realised it only after getting lost for 2 hours when I came back. They will exchange spots every week.

“Yangyang~ Let’s play chess~” Probably guessing that I was back, the Black dorm door (that’s filled with faces) swung open. And all I saw next was the face screaming and flung out. Following was Li Zhi running out with a wooden chess set in his hand: “Dammit! Randall actually said that he is not interested in any chess other than Western chess! So you have to play with me.”

I looked at the old chess set that he was holding on, my head blanked for 3 second: “I’m sorry, I don’t know how to play…” Ever since I knew that the ancient way of playing chess is different from modern chess, I didn’t dare to play it again.

Li Zhi’s baby face frowned.

“You can try asking Nero, perhaps he might know.” I somehow think that though Nero may know everything under the sky, he doesn’t know how badly his owner wants to befriend him.

“Okay~”

The baby face ran away.

Looking at the Black dorm, I slowly walked in.

That time, after Senior left, I once requested Restua to arrange me back to the normal student dorm. But he told me that it was full and due to my unique identity, he advised me to continue staying in the Black dorm. Afterall, although the school and the Guild had managed to contain my identity as a Devil Master, there were still some students who learnt about it. As a preventive measure, staying with the Black robes is the better option.

Since Restua has put it this way, I can’t reject him any further.

But after staying here for some time and learning more things, I started to find the Black dorm not as scary as before…… Okay, from extremely scary to very scary.

But the scariest are the Black robes residing within.

“Yangyang~ Do you want to come out and play with the older sisters?” Shaking her tail, Nu Lie Li walked down as I stepped into the main hall.

“No thanks!” Nothing good comes when I go out with her!

I knew from the previous time Lilia was dragged back half-live.

Lilia’s partner position must have been replaced by the demon during her mission. And then...according to Miaomiao’s description, that was the beginning of a nightmare.

No, to be described as death is an understatement.

I can only send my prayers to her.

Quickly rushing back to my room, I slowed down as I passed by Senior’s room.

Senior’s room still remains; next to mine. There aren’t new Black robes coming in this year so there was no room shuffling in the Black dorm.

This room hasn’t been opened in a while.

I stood outside the door as I repeated the same action over and over again: praying for the owner of the room will be back as per normal.

Kicking open the door, returning back.

The Devil Master cannot change what has happened.

Jesus, Buddha, Mazu or God of Earth, I don’t know which God the Devil Masters send their prayers to so I can only quietly pray.

Perhaps praying to the current Devil Master leader may be more effective?

Ran… Please protect* the child of our ancestor’s friend……
*t/n: The protection Yangyang is asking for is in the form of God’s protection.

Ah crap, he’s not even dead. How can he protect.

After cursing at myself, I let out a sigh as I returned back to my room.

The moment I opened my door, I definitely heard the sound of TV. But it quickly disappeared. Opening my room’s door, inside was completely empty.

Looking left and right, I saw the TV remote that I left in the drawer lying on the floor. This made me certain that there was someone in my room watching TV earlier on. And I have probably guessed who it was already.

There was once I teleported back and witnessed a blue-eyes spider watching cartoons.

Though the owner didn’t get bored from monitoring someone, his pet probably did instead. 

Continuing to pretend that I’m unaware of this, I picked up the TV remote and threw it on the sofa. I headed towards the toilet to wash away my muddy clothes.

Not long ago, Restua brought in a washing machine that looked like those from Lake Town in the common lounge for everyone’s convenience.

But ever since that time when I saw a Witch holding a curved blade spinning around inside, I made the decision to hand wash my clothes.

After coming out from the toilet, I heard someone outside the Black dorm calling for me.

“Yangyang~ Come out and play!”

A very familiar voice is calling me again. Last time she would at least ring my phone, but recently she’s begun shouting for me from outside. I really wonder if there’ll be a day when one of the residents here gets fed up and decides to pour acid down. But evidently the Black dorm is generally quite tolerating towards girls.

“Wait for me!” Replying to Miaomiao, I quickly packed up and rushed down. The main hall is empty.

After the battle and the school calmed down, the Black robes who were initially gathered returned to their respective jobs. At the least, only two remain here.

That is the time I refuse to be in the main hall alone in the middle of the night. It feels eerie.

Coming out, I saw Miaomiao happily waving towards me. Next to her was Lilia.

After that time, Lilia’s face got better. There are some light scars left which are hidden after Miaomiao taught her to cover up with make-up. Lilia only returns back to the medical team periodically for follow up treatments. I heard that she’ll be fully recovered soon.

“Tsk, what a slow peasant!” Lilia left out a cold snort after seeing me.

…... I really want to ask where she picked up the word “peasant” from.

Was it from five-coloured rooster! Don’t learn from the bad example!

“Why do I not see Ryan?” Decided to ignore Lilia, I looked around and was certain that ‘I really did not see Ryan and Ryan did not float out’.

"His younger brother dragged him to help buy some things. So it' just us today." Miaomiao happily grabbed onto Lilia's hand and said.

Aye, even since little Dan came to our school, Ryan barely has time to play with us. What a brother-fetish kid.

Recalling back to the month where I had Senior to guide me around…… I think it’s better to not look back at those bad-for-the-weak-hearted moments.

I didn’t bother asking why Chifuyutoshi wasn’t with us, he must be with Senior Kasai, so there wasn’t a need to ask.

“Hmph. If Miaomiao didn’t come find me, I won’t even ruin my reputation by being here with a Demon Master.” Lilia snorted again.

“Okay okay, if I meet any troubles later, then please step far aside.” I habitually fanned my hands. Anyways in the past year she has been like and she’ll always end up hanging out with us, and is the one enjoying the most amongst us. I really can’t tell that she is troubled.

Because of my identity as a Devil Master, there have been many troublesome people, though they have been mostly settled -- definitely mostly settled by my friends, when I’m lucky I can even easily settle them.

Whereas, those with robes did not come finding trouble in me. Most likely it is because the Guild has given its orders, so those who have been blocking me are mostly normal students or from the outside.

Currently, my talisman coach, Andy, has told me: “You don’t need to be courteous. Anyways no one can die in school, so might as well experiment on them.”

And then my talisman tutor, Senior Kasai said: “Since the opponent wishes for your death, you might as well strike first and kill them. Anyways no one can die in school, it’s a good opportunity to train yourself.”

Senior Kasai spoke those words with warmth and innocence. I completely can’t tell whether he was merely joking or being serious about it but I believe it was the latter.

And so, I followed the words of my teachers and practiced the spells they taught me everyday. And I actually did improve.

Even I could not believe it. No wonder everyone said that learning from experience is the most effective form of growth. I must thank all these brave souls!

“There’re new desserts in the right commercial street today~ Miaomiao has taken a discount voucher.” As per normal, Miamiao briefed us about the schedule today: “Geng Geng is already there. Ari will also be joining. Let’s all go together!”

“Hmm.”

“Naggy, let’s go.”

This is the 11th month that Senior has been away. Life is as per normal.

Now, I am already in my 2nd year of high school.

------------------------------
t/n: Ch1 completed! There may be some typo errors here and there. Pls forgive >.< I haven't had the time to re-read and edit. Will come back in future to edit. But I'll be working on Ch2 now~

For more prompt updates, do continue to stick to NovelUpdates or follow my twitter @whalelyy to receive prompt chapter updates.



2 comments:

  1. Ohh my gosh ohhh my goshhhh. I cant beleive someone is translating the season 2 ohhh my gosh... But reallly hope u will continue and not stop...............thank you so muchhhh..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the support! i hope you won't mind if the updates come in slow. i'll work hard in putting up the chapters as quickly as i can :)

      Delete