Saturday 13 February 2021

The Unique Legend 2 -- The Ancient Night Vol.1 (Chapter 3 Part 1)

Chapter 3: The Mermaids’ Holy Spring (Part 1)


And so, we once again return back to the Holy Land of the Light.


“Speaking of which, is Zachary also a mermaid race?” As I looked towards the money-face, who put aside his work and tagged along, I curiously asked. When I first came over, I almost mistook him as an Elf, but since he didn’t look like one and that he was also somehow different from Leido and his brother, who are Fairies.


“No, not that thing.” Asrian, whom I have no idea why he came along as well, instantly rejects.


“Ah, we’ve heard of it but have never witnessed it before.” Clearly knowing what it was, Leido follows.


“Eh?”


So what is he?


He can’t be an Asian house shrew*, right? The rumoured rats that sneaked cash back to their holes, those desperate for money rats.

[t/n: The direct translation from Chinese is actually Money Rat. The author was playing with words. I think the sentence that came after explains sufficiently on where this animal got its name.]


Just when I am about to clarify, the surroundings have turned to the place where we were chased out from, the hole from the lighting strike still remains there.


Because we were in a hurry earlier on, I did not observe clearly. Surrounding the place is an almost-transparent jade-green forest, as the wind blows, a scent of water is carried along.


“Who is it again!” The little Elf’s piercing voice comes over.


“Simmi, it’s me.”


“Who are you!” The little Elf, who has not recognised us, stares back at us, instantly recognizing that we only just chased away by her. “Ah! Intruders! You guys have not given up, must you really make me teach you a lesson!”


“Wait……” Asrian immediately pulls us back a little, then looks at the little Elf whose gaze is filled with hostility.


“And you even brought back up, damn it!”


The angry little Elf is completely unwilling to interact any further and flies up all of a sudden. Large areas of dark clouds surround us, giving off an unfriendly aura.


“”Step back.” Zachary immediately stepped forward and waved at us, indicating us to move backwards: “Since I’m being paid, I ought to settle this matter.”


Yup, in some areas he is still rather reliable.


In the area related to money.


Guardian of the Holy land of eternal light, under the name of Ysimmi Erfen,  please punish the intruders.” Gathering a large amount of light at her fingers, the little Elf pointed to the ground.


Swiftly doing a somersault, Zachary firmly kicks away a branch at the side. Leaves immediately scatter around the surrounding.


Faintly, I see the somersaulted black shadow elongated immediately. The initial human appearance is broadened, the whole figure becomes twisted.


Not being able to avoid in time, the little Elf  is kicked away by something white. The entire Elf flies across a distance and the gathered lighting disperses away. The sky quickly returns to its initial clearness and brightness.


Thereafter, I also clearly witness the true figure of “Zachary” after he lands on the grass.


The upper body remains the same, just that there are some changes to his shirt. What startles me is his lower body.


The elongated and graceful body of a horse carries a silverish white fur, faint golden colored tail slowly swings, the fours hoofs firmly stand on the ground……. No matter how I look at this thing, I keep feeling that he is more like……


A Centaur.


What I saw is a white Centaur.


The money face is actually a Centaur and not an Asian house shrew!


Didn’t the legendary Centaurs hide themselves and stay away from the world’s disputes! Who on earth spread the legend, the Centaur right in front of me is a money-face who loves nothing but money!


“Student Chu, your current expression seems to say that the extraordinary Centaur and I are different species.”


Next, I see a hoof lifted high above me, closely approaching towards my face -- so close that it was 2cm away from stomping on my face. I can almost feel the pain from being threatened piercing into my eyes.


“Uh…… Of course not.” Right now, even if it is so, I have no other choice but to say no. Otherwise, I will probably become the first person to be stepped on by a Centaur...I mean, Devil Master.


Then again, his horse figure looks pretty good to touch --


“Each touch is $200.” The profit-making accounting department’s money-face shouts a price on the spot.


I swallow my saliva, nearly choking myself.


The little Elf who was kicked away crashes into a tree. After a while, she wobbly flies out, shakes her head then glares. Upon seeing clarify the Centaur in front of her, her face instantly changes.


She quickly flies towards Zachary, who is in his Centaur appearance, circles around him with suspicions, then revealing a loosened expression and carrying an excited and flirtatious tone: “President Zac~ You haven’t visited in a while~ I nearly couldn’t recognize you all~~”


Zachary lifts his eyebrow, showing an understood expression, “Has Shi Qing already returned?”


“It’s been half a year already, but how did you know?” the little Elf flaps her wings, as her hostile look from earlier instantly becomes friendlier and kindly helps us open the magical border.


“From your actions.” Giving her a few-worded reply, Zachary moves his hoofs and leads us in.


“Ale?”


“Long time no see, Simmi.” Following behind, Asrian happily greets her.


“Aiya! You were actually hiding behind~” Completely ignoring us, the little Elf named Simmi quickly catches up to Asrian, pulling his hair from the back: “The sisters miss you, little Keeper~”


“I’m glad that Simmi still remembers me.”


“You were still so small when we last met, now you’ve become a giant……”


I no longer want to find out what kind of roles these two are acting now.


“Let’s go along.” Leido gives me a pat and follows Yado and the rest.


The surrounding air returns back to its original scent of drowsiness, as if you can faintly hear some low voices mumbling.


Subconsciously, my footsteps have slowed, Leido and the rest are far ahead and I can only see the back of their shadows. Carried along with the wind, some strange voices enter my ears. It sounds like a song carrying a message from a distant past.


Very soon, Leido and the rest’s shadows can no longer be seen.


Standing in the same spot, I suddenly do not want to walk anymore.


My head is heavy but at the same time I feel something crossing my mind. However, I did not bother comprehending that thought and let it disappear on its own.


Faintly I can feel Minas and the Old Man making some commotion but I don’t feel like giving much thought.


At this moment, I can only think of this and can’t be bothered by anything else……


“You can’t stay here.”


A weird and mysterious voice suddenly appears from the side, following I feel the pain on the back of my hand. That pain instantly pierced into my bone, waking me back to reality.


Coming back to reality, I then realise a big black object is only a few steps in front of me. Noticing that I have woken up, it runs off at lightning speed before I could figure out what it was.


I lift my hand, I realise there is a bitten wound on it, with some traces of blood oozing out.


If I didn’t wake up just now……


Forget it, I don’t really want to know my consequences!


“Yangyang, don’t lose us!” Finally noticing my absence and returning back for me, Leido quickly runs over, pulling my arm and walking towards the direction where they disappeared to. “This Holy place is filled with lots of magical beasts. If you are not careful, your soul will be easily sucked away and will even attract other things. It will be bad if those who have never been here before lose their way.”


I was just considering whether to tell Leido that I nearly lost my soul but I personally didn’t feel that happening anyways. 


After Leido has pulled me for a distance, I soon see everyone waiting for me not too far away.


“Ale, lucky you haven’t become a feed yet.” Simmi sourly drops this sentence, evidently she still doesn’t fancy unfamiliar guests entering this place.


“Okay, everyone is here, then let’s enter the Holy Spring of Light.” Watching us return back, Zachary, who has been leading, speaks. Then, he extends his hand and receives a small transparent glass ball that is glowing from Simmi.


Holding the ball with both hands, Zacarchy mumbles some words that I do not understand. According to Asrian, it’s some entrance code, and the glass ball shatters into fine pieces in his hands.


Almost at the same time, just like the glass ball, our surrounding environment also shatters.


A sense of cool condensation welcomes us, accompanied by the sound of flushing water.


Looking around again, I almost let out a sound of amazement.


That large pond, so large that I nearly mistook it as a lake, at its end was a waterfall…… But what is weird is that the waterfall is actually flowing backwards, the water is going up instead. The surrounding midst draws a few strange white colored rainbows, instead of those colorful ones. Occasionally the fishes that have been flushed upwards are also seen jumping back down.


Including the spot where we are at, encircling the area is an almost transparent white grass and forest.


This place reminds me of the White Garden of Wind, because the plants in the White Garden also have this similar color.


A few small animals are seen jumping around in this white forest, standing on the tree branches are some unfamiliar yet pretty birds. The air carries some faint midst. Everything looks like a fantasy world, so alluring that I can’t leave my gaze.


“Welcome to the Holy Spring of Light.”


Standing in front of us, Zachary back-faced the magnificent scenery, smiles and says.


***

-----------------

t/n: End of Part 1! As promised, I've managed to finish translating this part over the CNY holiday :'') There are 3 Parts to this chapter so I hope to be able to finish the remaining 2 parts in the coming week. Thanks for waiting!


If you like the work so far, please leave a review on NovelUpdates.


Do continue to stick to NovelUpdates or follow me on twitter @whalelyy to receive prompt chapter updates. Similarly, if there are any issues, you may also reach me directly via discord @whalelyy#4262!



No comments:

Post a Comment